Who is Alec Birri?
Alec Birri served thirty years with the UK Armed Forces. He commanded an operational unit that specialised in new military capabilities classified at the highest level – Top Secret Strap 3.
What are your novels about?
How we unwittingly allow ourselves to redefine what we know to be right and wrong. Basically, if Orwell intended Animal farm and 1984 to be a warning, then society is ignoring the message.
What inspired you to write?
Some of my more unsettling military experiences. They have played on my mind ever since so I guess there’s a cathartic element too.
Sounds ominous! I take it what you were involved in can’t be disclosed?
I’m keen not to end my days as another Edward Snowdon or Julian Assange so sadly not. Having said that, the various governments involved will eventually relax the classification, but only because society will have accepted them by then – just as CONDITION’s protagonists do.
But given your background there must be some truth in there?
My writing is inevitably semi-autobiographical and much of the dialogue is word for word, but for the reasons mentioned, events and individuals have had to be fictionalised.
Who would enjoy your work? Who’s your audience?
Anyone that enjoys a thought-provoking dystopian thriller. Population control, eugenics, identity and ethics feature as do government cover-ups so those intrigued by conspiracy theories should also find it interesting.
ALT TRUTHS will be out in 2018, but I’m not sure after that. There’s a particular event I would like to write about, but where it happened is important to the plot and that might reveal more than I’m prepared to at this stage.
Alec Birri respects your privacy. The following details how he collects, uses, communicates, discloses and otherwise makes use of personal information:
- Personal information is collected by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, the purposes for which information is being collected will be made clear.
- Personal information is collected solely for fulfilling those purposes specified at the time and for other ancillary purposes unless consent is obtained from the individual concerned or as required by law.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- Personal information is protected by using reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- Alec Birri will make readily available to customers information about his policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- He will only retain personal information for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of those purposes.
- Alec Birri never sells lists and only employs appropriate third parties i.e. MailChimp.
Copyright Alec Birri 2017